Sunday, October 2, 2011

Core values of a marriage

What are the core values of a marriage? I guess in every marriage it would be different depending on what the couple believes in. To me one of the big ones would be trust and honesty. I would also consider respect as a core value. Maybe teamwork too. Oh and what about appreciation?
Now what if the couple does not see eye to eye on some of the core values? My husband and I do not see eye to eye on a core value I hold very high: compromise. I believe that couples should be able to compromise and reach agreements that will keep both party's happy. The last couple weeks my husband has not been willing to compromise one little bit.
Anyone who read my last post knows about my husband not going to make the car payment.
The next day we got into an argument. You see I always will call up and ask my husband if he has done his basic responsibilities; like straightening up, cooking dinner for the kids while I am at work, or running an errand he told me he would. Past experiences shows me that if I don't call and ask and remind him, he doesn't do these things. So he told me that he doesn't do those things because I called and asked. Like he is repelling against me because I ask. So I told him ok, show me a couple times that you actually do the things I ask and I will stop asking. His response, "No you need to just stop asking."
Then there was yesterday. I was in the bathroom drying my hair when he came in. I asked him if was going to make coffee this morning. He said yes. So I said "ok well I have to leave in 30 mins." His response "ok bye." Then he chuckles and says he was just playing so he could lighten the mood. I told him sometimes his "playing" can be perceived as hurtful. Right when I was getting ready to leave we started talking about me changing the spark plugs. He starts talking down to me about how I don't know how to do it. I told him I do know how to change spark plugs and the way he was talking to me made me feel stupid. He told me I was taking it the wrong way. I told him that just like in the bathroom, sometimes his words seem hurtful to me and to please be aware of that. His response, "no you just need to stop taking things the wrong way."
It is becoming very hard the fact that he will not budge and work with me. It makes me not want to do the things he expects out of me. So we end up in this never ending cycle.
So now a question. What do my readers consider some of the core values in a relationship?
Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Stopped by from the blog hop and now following your blog thru GFC. I would love a follow back when you get the chance. Also, I am having my first giveaway, a set of Eclipse Spa Products and you are welcome to come and enter. Thanks so much for your help and have a great day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense to those other comments, but I hate when people do that! Anyways, I am stopping by from the tea party, but actually read your post. lol

    It sounds like you two are going through a rough patch with communication. I don't know if you are religious at all, but I'm reading a book, The Sacred Marriage, right now, and I think it's incredibly insightful. Also, I know a lot of people are against therapy, but I think when you're in the middle of the situation, it can be hard to see clearly and an outside perspective can be really helpful. Lots of hugs and thoughts coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have issues with communication too. We do try to compromise, and I will admit that he is usually better at it than I am. He likes to "joke" around in ways that I sometimes feel hurtful, but the more I mentioned it to him the less he did it, and the less I "took it personally" when he did.
    Hoping you two find a good middle ground.
    PS: Stopping by from Bloggy Moms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it ever just blow you away how much our hubbys act alike?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. True Echo. They do seem compatible. Maybe we should just send those two to live with each other instead of us lol.

    ReplyDelete